Hospitality businesses are at a higher risk of suffering a data breach because of the nature of the industry.
The most recent case that made rounds is the massive data breach Marriott International suffered, especially because the breach has remained undetected for over 3 years. In that time, data such as credit card numbers, home addresses, loyalty points, birth dates, passport numbers, and other valuable information were stolen.
Imagine something like that happening to your cafe, restaurant, or hotel.
Could you handle the aftermath of a breach?
It’s not just about the massive damage payouts. The real aftermath is dealing with the trust that will be damaged beyond repair.
How safe are your current systems? Are you sure you could deter or detect a breach?
The high risk of the hospitality industry
Hospitality businesses are a high-value target of malicious intent. The first part of the issue revolves around the characteristics of the industry:
- You work in a people-centred industry where competition is fierce.
- To succeed, your hospitality business has to stand out from the crowd by providing your customers with the very best service.
- You also have to deal with a lot of stored sensitive information about your clients.
- This data can help you provide a streamlined and personalised experience. Unfortunately, such data is highly valued on the black market, which makes you a prime target to hackers.
The other part of the problem is your back office:
- It’s a highly dynamic industry that requires a centralised system with lots of connection and access points.
- Any of these can become a potential point of access.
- The turnover rate of hospitality businesses is higher than in other industries.
- Any old, forgotten, and inactive accounts from former staff are security threats.
How can IT and cybersecurity solutions help hospitality?
Hospitality businesses are highly vulnerable to cybersecurity threats. Even large enterprises will succumb to a data breach without advanced cybersecurity solutions.
Instead of sticking to incident response and passively reporting on a security breach, hospitality businesses have to implement proactive measures that will make a breach unlikely and data unreadable.
The right IT solution keeps your business efficient and your customer and employee data safe. Our IT and cybersecurity solutions and services will:
- Standardise your whole network infrastructure – We can take care of everything – from network hardware installation and setup, to VPN and token solutions.
- Streamline your operations – This will reduce errors and data mismanagement, and will speed up your whole system.
- Encrypt data and documents – While you should aim to avoid a data breach, encryption helps you remain compliant and make data unreadable and unusable in case it does happen.
- Report any red flags – Advanced monitoring solutions help detect any irregularities in your database, payment system, or loyalty programs immediately. Your data stays secure, and your services stable.
- Create and maintain backups – Your whole systems and operations backed up, ready to weather any storm.
- Train your staff – Even the best systems remain vulnerable if your staff isn’t up to date on how to use it, or isn’t informed about the latest security threats and policies.
- Provide ongoing support – From helpdesk and remote support to onsite interventions, we got you covered.
Responsive IT Support
We go well beyond simple network setup, optimisation, and one-time security protocol setup.
Cybersecurity is an ongoing task, and TowerWatch Solutions offers ongoing IT support for your hospitality business.
Our IT support range includes 1st, 2nd, and 3rd line support. No matter what type of IT-related issues you are dealing with, we can help you resolve it quickly and have you up and running in no time.
- Your employee lost their password? Our helpdesk will help them retrieve it.
- Your POS can’t connect to the network? We can get it up and running remotely.
- Your customers can’t order ahead through your app? Our engineers will find the reason as soon as possible.
Our IT support is available around the clock, and you can choose between:
- Helpdesk support – A solution for any minor issues that keep disrupting your daily operations is just a phone call away. Our helpdesk support will quickly resolve POS connection issues, account lockouts, or network drops.
- Remote assistance – When you can’t take care of the problem on your own, our IT support agents can quickly resolve minor inconveniences with remote access.
- Onsite IT expert and engineer teams – Have issues with hardware or software setup? Your Wi-Fi system is down and routers aren’t responding? No worries. We’ll deploy our onsite IT experts to take care of all your IT worries in no time.
Already have an in-house IT team?
Nothing to worry about. Besides 1st to 3rd IT support, we also offer full IT management support.
We will take care of in-house team hiring, management, and training to keep your team up to date on the latest security practices and threats, and work alongside them and offer a helping hand.
Let us deal with technicalities so you can stay focused on your customer and the experience you provide.
The IT projects and solutions we implement are all based on the latest technology and security standards.
The hospitality industry works with high volumes of sensitive data, and our solutions warrant it stays safe – we will make sure all your operations are GDPR-compliant too.
Project implementation preparations
Our experts and engineers have over 10 years of experience in IT management and project implementation. Before we draft a project for your hospitality business, we will take a look at your current setup.
TowerWatch Solutions will ensure your IT systems can handle your business demands, follow the latest hospitality trends, and battle security threats.
We can make the project as simple or complex as you need it to be. We can implement a simple backup solution for your current operations, or reinvent your whole IT infrastructure and offer a streamlined digital dining journey.
Your IT needs should never take the back seat. Today, IT solutions are the driving force of successful hospitality businesses. We can help you with:
- Implementing full server systems, communications, and platforms.
- Physically relocating your sites and helping you open new sites.
- Moving your physical servers to safer virtual environments.
- Converting your local data and operations to the cloud.
- Installing and implementing encryption solutions for your customer data and loyalty programs.
- Taking care of GDPR and PCI compliance.
- Implementing access control measures.
- Setting up Backup and Data Loss Prevention (DLP) measures.
Fully custom solutions, tailored just for you
Because no two hospitality businesses are alike, we focus on getting to know you first. Your long-term goals become our long-term goals.
When we are familiar with your strengths and weaknesses, we will know how to design an IT system that will emphasise the former and eliminate the latter.
- A custom-designed IT system will cover all your needs and provide a streamlined experience to your customers and patrons.
- We will implement new hardware, software, and full IT solutions with minimal disruptions to your operations.
With our IT services, you’ll be ready for rapid expansion and franchising: We will future-proof your IT infrastructure so you can easily open new locations locally, regionally, and globally, and deploy your whole system instantly.
Do not worry about business disruptions while we implement our IT and security solutions.
We have streamlined our setup routine so you can continue working without losses in uptime, efficiency, or staff and guest satisfaction. We’ll start with upgrades that are easiest to implement and work our way to the more complex solutions.
Continue impressing your guests and customers while we update, improve, and optimise your whole IT system with:
- Equipment standardisation – Differences in hardware, procedures, and policies across franchises are a common reason for disjointed operations. We will standardise all your equipment.
- The best guest Wi-Fi solutions – Your systems are not the only thing that benefits from being connected. Your customers will keep coming back to enjoy not just your services, but also an amazing, lightning-fast, and most importantly, secure Wi-Fi in any of your establishments.
- Cloud solutions that sync across your whole franchise – No matter how many locations you have, relocating your operations to the cloud will allow your staff to work efficiently from any branch and sync data across all your locations.
- Active network monitoring – Proactive approach to possible issues is the only way to deal with them before they become serious. Our IT solutions can monitor your whole infrastructure and network, and alert our IT support in case of irregularities.
- GDPR compliance implementation – Unsure about GDPR compliance and worried about possible legal risks? We got you covered here too.
TowerWatch Solutions is your one-stop shop for implementing cybersecurity and IT systems that will make you fully compliant with the GDPR.
Our compliance strategy includes data mapping and auditing. We will uncover where your data is stored and review all your software for possible security gaps.
We will implement security measures such as system monitoring and advanced data encryption to keep data safe.
- PCI compliance implementation – PCI compliance helps you protect your customer’s credit card data and reduce fraud attempts. By making sure your new IT setup is compliant with PCI DSS standards, your customers and guests will know you place the highest emphasis on their security.
- Future-proofing – Our IT solutions ensure your systems are future-proof and you won’t have to worry about substantial investments down the line. When you migrate your operations to virtual environments and the cloud, all the updates are handled by the provider, guaranteeing your systems are always up to date and safe.
Your IT security is only as good as its weakest link. Unintended data disclosure can easily be prevented with the right staff training. Leave it to us to teach them how to use the newly implemented systems and foster a culture of security.
Consultancy & Research
Are you opening a new restaurant and want a good IT infrastructure right away? Or are you an established franchise that could use some updating in the IT department, but you’re not sure where to start?
Start by consulting with our experts
TowerWatch Solutions offers consulting services on hospitality IT systems and cybersecurity. We’ll help you plan out every detail of IT system implementation and assist your in-house IT teams on every step of the way.
No in-house teams? No problem. We can manage your IT projects on our own too.
If you are more comfortable with having in-house IT experts, we also provide consulting on IT Training and Recruitment. We can help you set up, recruit, and train an in-house IT team for you. We can set up, manage, and recruit new members to your team.
Our dedicated IT experts and engineers will help you with a boost of specialised knowledge right where you need it:
- IT project management – From implementing ePOS systems to handling guest Wi-Fi options, we’ll help you manage the whole project. We consult you on the best ways to implement it, and what the needed security measures and best practices are.
- IT security requirements – We can help you and your team set up staff authentication, BYOD policies, GDPR, and PCI compliance, and consult you on the latest industry standards.
- Data safety and recovery options – Our experts will be happy to explain all the solutions you can implement to prevent data leaks and losses and help you pick the best mix of options. Learn about:
- Differences between backup solutions
- The importance of business continuity strategies
- How data loss prevention (DLP) works
- What disaster recovery options would be best for you
- Cloud computing solutions – We’ll guide you through possible cloud computing options and advise you on the one best suited to your particular needs, be it private, public, or hybrid.
- Migration services – We can help you move your data and operations from one location to another, or to a virtual environment. We will also ensure that any risks – privacy, security, and data access – are eliminated in the process.
Hospitality is an industry that handles huge amounts of sensitive data on customers, guests, and patrons. Hospitality cybersecurity is more important than ever before. As a restaurant, cafe, or hotel owner, it’s your responsibility to keep their data safe.
How up to date is your current IT setup? Have you taken care of your GDPR compliance? Do you know who has access to sensitive data?
Here are some of the latest facts and figures on hospitality data breaches, and just how much damage they can do:
- Restaurant group Earl Enterprises data breach from May 2018 to March 2019
- Data affected: Over 2 million credit card numbers were stolen
- Attack vector: Malware on their POS system
- Brands affected: Buca di Beppo, Earl of Sandwich, Planet Hollywood, Chicken Guy!, Mixology, and Tequila Taqueria
- Damages paid: Unknown
- The company launched a website so guests can check whether their details were stolen.
- RMH franchise security breach in 2018
- Data affected: Guests’ names, credit or debit card numbers, expiration dates, and card verifications codes
- Attack vector: Unauthorised software placed on the POS system
- Brands affected: 167 Applebee’s restaurants
- Damages paid: Unknown
- Wendy’s data breach of 2015 and 2016
- Data affected: Name, card number, expiration date, security, and service codes, and other payment card-related information.
- Attack vector: Malware on POS system
- Brands affected: Wendy’s restaurants
- Damages paid: $50 million
- Dunkin’ Donuts data breach
- Data affected: Usernames and passwords for loyalty programs
- Attack vector: Third-party breach
- Brands affected: Dunkin’ Donuts
- Damages paid: Unknown
- Hilton Hotels data breach of 2014 and 2015
- Data affected: Credit card numbers, names, addresses
- Attack vector: Cash register computers
- Brands affected: Hilton Hotels
- Damages paid: $700,000
- Marriott data breach: The biggest breach up to date
- Data affected: 500 million customers’ information, including names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, passport numbers, account info, birth dates, gender, and arrival/departure information
- Attack vector: Unauthorised access to the hotel database
- Brands affected: Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, W Hotels, Sheraton, Delta Hotels, Le MERIDIEN, Westin, Renaissance Hotels, Four Points, SpringHill Suites, Fairfield Inn, Residence Inn.
- Damages to pay: $915 million GDPR
Digital technology and data safety have become an integral part of the hospitality and dining experience.
How IT Solutions Influence the Dining Journey
Technology is affecting the hospitality industry, and those who don’t embrace IT solutions are bound to fall behind fast.
According to the Windstream Enterprise-BRP Consulting digital restaurant study that focused on preferences of Millennials and Gen Z, shows that digital technology affects the hospitality sector, particularly restaurants, quite a lot.
Here are some of their most interesting finds:
- 74% find that ease of ordering and payment is extremely important.
- only 45% of restaurants have excellent execution for this preference
- 60% place importance into Wi-Fi availability
- only 44% of restaurants have a good solution in place
- 42% actively look for contactless and mobile payment availability
- only 33% of restaurants have it
- 41% look for mobile and web order ahead options
- only 26% of restaurants offer a good solution
The following infographic by Deloitte from 2016 shows just how important technology has become in hospitality:
Some key findings include the fact that 40% of people prefer to order online, and when technology is used to place orders, customers will spend an extra 20% on an average per visit.
The findings clearly show that the customer journey and experiences are heavily influenced by the convenience of new tech solutions. The only way forward for your business is to implement IT solutions that will be convenient but also safe.
Do you have the right IT solutions in place? Get in touch to see how we can help you streamline, boost customers with technology projects, and improve your security.